Latest news in Cannabis.

New safety systems may go in Melbourne’s CBD in wake of Bourke Street attack

New safety systems may go in Melbourne's CBD in wake of Bourke Street attack

  • A public siren system and retractable bollards may be installed in Melbourne’s CBD to warn the public of impending terror attacks or other potential threats.
  • Premier Daniel Andrews said the State Government was working on ways to boost security in the wake the Bourke Street tragedy as well as international terror events such as the Nice terror attack last year, which resulted in more than 80 deaths.
  • “The world is changing, it is a different environment today than it was even five or 10 years ago and we need to respond to events that have happened on the other side of the world, and tragically events like Bourke Street.”
  • “It may well be a very effective way of making sure in the event people need to take cover and need to take evasive action.”
  • “This is a major events city, it’s a city of sport and culture …these changes are about enhancing that fundamental Melbourne and Victorian experience, not compromising that in any way.

A public siren system may be installed in Melbourne’s CBD to warn the public of impending terror attacks or other potential threats, Premier Daniel Andrews says, in the wake of the deadly Bourke Street rampage in January.

@abcnewsMelb: New safety systems may go in Melbourne’s CBD in wake of Bourke Street attack

Posted April 02, 2017 12:34:33

A public siren system and retractable bollards may be installed in Melbourne’s CBD to warn the public of impending terror attacks or other potential threats.

Premier Daniel Andrews said the State Government was working on ways to boost security in the wake the Bourke Street tragedy as well as international terror events such as the Nice terror attack last year, which resulted in more than 80 deaths.

In January, six people died and more than 30 were injured when a car was driven into pedestrians during the busy lunchtime period in Melbourne’s CBD.

The accused driver, Dimitrious Gargasoulas, was charged with six counts of murder.

“The world is changing, it is a different environment today than it was even five or 10 years ago and we need to respond to events that have happened on the other side of the world, and tragically events like Bourke Street.”

Mr Andrews said the Government was working with Victoria Police and Lord Mayor Robert Doyle and flagged a host of new safety measures.

“We want to get this right. We have been working on it for some months and we’ll have further exciting announcements to make soon,” he said.

“Everything from bollards, planter boxes — those sort of permanent things — but with a technological angle, so bollards that can come up and down when needed, controlled from a central point … then of course sirens and other warning devices, they’re being looked at very closely as well.”

“It may well be a very effective way of making sure in the event people need to take cover and need to take evasive action.”

He said he estimated the cost could be more than $10 million, but said Victorians should feel safe in the city.

“We have to be smart about these things, we have to make the change that’s necessary, but we should never compromise our way of living,” he said.

“This is a major events city, it’s a city of sport and culture …these changes are about enhancing that fundamental Melbourne and Victorian experience, not compromising that in any way.

“They’re not costs, they really are investments in keeping all of us safe.”

Topics: state-parliament, parliament, government-and-politics, melbourne-3000, vic

New safety systems may go in Melbourne’s CBD in wake of Bourke Street attack

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.

Subscribe To Personalized Notifications

You are subscribing to jobs matching your current search criteria.

Email Notifications

Email notifications will be sent to you Subscribe

 

Custom RSS Feed

Your personalized RSS Feed is below, copy the address to your RSS reader. Subscribe