It could happenHow to avoid nuclear war with North Korea
- Our briefing this week lays out, step by step, one way that America and North Korea might blunder into a nuclear war (see article ).
- Others suggest using force to overthrow the regime or pre-emptive strikes to destroy Mr Kim’s nuclear arsenal before he has a chance to use it.
- America’s armed forces, for all their might, cannot reliably neutralise the North Korean nuclear threat before Mr Kim has a chance to retaliate.
- However, he should reaffirm that a nuclear attack by North Korea on America or one of its allies will immediately be matched.
- America should formally extend its nuclear guarantee to South Korea and Japan, and boost the missile defences that protect both countries.
IT IS odd that North Korea causes so much trouble. It is not exactly a superpower. Its economy is only a fiftieth as big as that of its democratic capitalist cousin, South Korea. Americans spend twice its total GDP on their pets.
@TheEconomist: How to avoid nuclear war with North Korea
Request unsuccessful. Incapsula incident ID: 490000590133680077-101224485048943537